The Knit-a-square Wish List
We have created the Knit-a-square wish list, because over the years as we have grown organically, kindhearted members have sent a variety of goodies. Now it has become essential for Knit-a-square to limit the items we distribute to squares, assembled blankets, hats, hand-warmers and cuddly toys, which is why we have created the Knit-a-square wish list. All other items, as mentioned below, will be distributed through a third-party and not directly by KAS.
In order to make life easier for our team of volunteers, we ask that you follow these guidelines.
- Make sure your squares are 8″ (20cm).
- Darn all loose ends.
- Butterfly the 20” (50cm) tail for sewing up to avoid tangling during unpacking. (See ‘How to butterfly’ here.)
- Lay the squares flat for posting, and avoid rolling into sausages.
- You are welcome to sew your squares into blankets of 5×7 squares (see diagram) but must only declare that your package contains knitted squares. Crocheters often find it easier to crochet the squares into strips and then crochet the strips together.
Hats & Beanies
- The ribbed hats are best as they grow with the child.
- Sizing: if it fits the knitter then it will fit the child comfortably.
- Please avoid square hats, as for some reason the children get ridiculed for having ‘ears.’
- Hand-warmers that are ribbed are comfortable and grow with the child.
- Please place one hand-warmer inside the other in order to keep them together.
- Please avoid tying them together or using safety pins as these must be removed prior to distribution which becomes time consuming.
- The children absolutely adore receiving their own personal ‘present’ of a cuddly toy, and they bring joy beyond measure for so many children who have never experienced the wonder of ‘ownership.’
- Hand-knitted toys or store bought toys are welcome, but all price tags must be removed to avoid customs problems.
- Second hand toys are accepted as long as they are in good condition.
Additional Knit-a-square wish list items that are Welcome
- Yarn – we always need yarn to sew together and edge the blankets.
- Yarn needles – we always need these for sewing the blankets – both plastic and metal are great.
- Crochet hooks – 4.0mm (US size G/6, UK/Canadian size 8) for edging the blankets so they remain strong.
- We do not need any more knitting needles at this stage – we have a box full!
We have one more small wish on the Knit-a-square wish list. Please help us run this operation on a daily basis with a small monthly subscription. Just the cost of one cup of coffee arriving regularly, makes a huge difference to us. Thank you.